Friday 24 May 2013

When God Was A Rabbit-Sarah Winman

   

      The first thing I will say about this book is that I finished it in 12 hours, some of which I was sleeping-it really wasn't a tough read at all. That being said, it was enjoyable enough to keep me reading, bit not a book I'd pick up again.

     I enjoyed Winman's writing greatly: the subtlety with which she delivers a blow is something many authors just haven't grasped, instead opting for in your face crass descriptions.
The book is written from the eyes of Eleanor Maud as she grows up, with the book being split in two parts, creating an almost seamless leap between her childhood and adult years.  The book provides a definite sense of what is lost in adulthood, but also what might be gained, through a better understanding of the world.
      The relationships between characters are what makes this book a success. Between Eleanor and her brother, her closest friend, the neighbour, and her rabbit...the book is a wonderful illustration of bonds that can form between people, that often last a lifetime, and this is what  took away with me from the book: that across space and time, some bonds aren;t broken, and that your closest friends are often the most unexpected.
7/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment