Wednesday 19 June 2013

Stephen King Joyland




    Stephen King, Stephen King. Did you owe someone a favour, allowing them to publish this book? This review's a tricky one because I actually really enjoyed reading this book, and finished it in about 4 hours; but without giving too much away, the ending was a huge let down, and so many plot points felt like copouts, to the point where an episode of Scooby Doo almost has better depth and plot craft..."if only it wasn't for you pesky kids!"

     His writing style for Joyland, is unlike his usual style: although I haven't read a Stephen King in about  five years, but I was attracted but it's 60's print cover and its reminding me of the "Point Horror's" I used to read as a teenager, holed up in my room, terrified of the mere words on the page.

     Joyland is so similar to this style of book, and is marketed as such: a pulp fiction. It follows the story of a young man with a broken heart, who finds work at a funfair in order to make some money over his summer. As someone who however prefers the rational explanation over the paranormal one, many of the events that unfold lack real depth, and their explanations seem farfetched and a bit of a letdown. I feel completely conflicted because I want to love this book. But it's characters are lacking somewhat, and the finale is just weak.

For that, I'll give it 6/10...worth a read if you enjoy quick to read, trashy horror, but not worth a reread any time soon.

And for amusement purposes, here's Stephen King holding a pink Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment