Wednesday 19 June 2013

The Great Gatsby-F.Scott.Fitzgerald

 





  I bought this book for my partner, who really wanted to read it before the film came out (which was AWESOME, by the way!) And didn't think I'd have time to read it also, but at 180 pages, finished pretty quickly. I feel like if I hadn't been in such a hurry, the book might have held greater weight with me, and I hate to say it, but watching the film did bring it to life and illustrated very well the meanings and relationships from the book.
     The book however, is a great illustration of a man's life, the dreams and downfalls of a man who seems so great to others, but to himself is so full of clear shortcomings, he hides behind grandeur , always remaining illusive and an enigma. Needless to say the book is incredibly sad; as a commentary on how our lives can be so full of meaning to us, yet so empty and disposable to others was essentially pretty depressing. But then that's what books are meant to do: teach you something, even small that you can take home with you at the end of the day.
Definitely worth the read, and as with most classics, I find are worth rereading to achieve the greater messages hidden within a text.



Aaaaaand for your viewing pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment