Wednesday 19 June 2013

The Call of Cthulhu: H.P Lovecraft



Yes my copy also came with 3D glasses...


Lovecraft's a bit weird really. His obsession with stenches and "indescribable horror" makes you really wish he actually would just describe it. The more time passes since reading his collection of "weird tales" the more it plays on my mind and begins to disturb me a bit!

     A lot of the stories are essentially science fiction, something I've never really dealt with before, and not what the book seems to present itself as...but then there will be a surprise element of pure horror story, leaving me with chills down my spine and feeling glad I'm not alone in the flat.
And Lovecraft loves to describe the horror, of what humans would actually do if we came across these ancient life forces, as described in his "Necronomicon" and what they would do if they came across us.
There is a deepening prevailing sense of darkness and despair while reading these books. Hs writing style, definitely requires perseverance, but is worth it for the overall effect. He grapples a lot with the psyche and the stress of terror and loneliness dropping down into a spiral of horror...

I'm really selling this aren't I?

This book was definitely not what I would usually go for, and was also definitely a challenge for me, but the overall effect of his writing style has managed to stay with me weeks after finishing the book, and if anything has broadened my horizons to other genres I might enjoy.

7/10, will possible reread some stories, but not the whole book. Tad depressing!


No comments:

Post a Comment